Are you finding it hard to clean your home gutter? This article explores the easiest ways to achieve a cleaner, more efficient gutter system.
Gutters are essential to the structural well-being of your home. They are a system of troughs that collects rainwater, channeling it along your roof and down to the corner waterspouts. Their primary function is to move water off your roof and away from your home’s foundation.
Due to the nature of their design, your gutters are prone to clogging. Clogged gutters may result in stagnating water and overflow. Stagnant standing water can result in rust formation, since gutters are almost always made of metal. This leads to erosion, as well as damage to the siding of your roof, due to excess weight.
A malfunctioning gutter can also create excessive water runoff. This may result in the water eroding concrete and pathways over time. Unsightly ditches in your lawn can lead to unhealthy soil that harms your landscape. But all of this potential damage is avoidable.
Here are the top 5 tips for achieving a cleaner and more efficient gutter:
1. Be equipped with the necessary tools. There are various tools you’ll want available based on the different tasks involved in cleaning your gutters. Here is a list of essential tools, with their corresponding functions:
- Heavy duty work gloves– These will keep your hands clean and protected from stagnant debris and sharp metal.
- A plastic garbage bag– This will make it easy to dispose of waste.
- Safety goggles– They’ll protect your eyes from splashed water, dirt, or insects.
- Narrow trowel– This will the ease the task of scooping and dumping dirt and debris.
- Ladder– Be sure you practice safety when climbing onto the roof.
- Long pressurized hose– Use this to spray off any remaining build-up.
- Rake or broom– This will help you collect and bag up leaves and larger bits of debris from the gutters.
- Handheld blower– If you’ve got one, it can ease the job of clearing dry leaves and sticks away from the gutters.
2. Practice safety. Conduct a quick risk assessment before setting up your ladder, and again before climbing onto the roof. You want to be sure you’ve got a solid surface to work with.
3. Create a gutter cleaning schedule. Gutters must be checked regularly. Be familiar with the changing seasons and weather. It is recommended to clean at least once or twice a year. It is recommended to clean them during autumn or late winter.
4. Maintain and inspect your gutter system. Check your gutters for leaks, metal cracks, or corroded areas.
5. Seek professional help. Cleaning your home gutter system is quite a chore, and can be time-consuming. There’s nothing wrong with seeking out gutter cleaning services to get the job done. The cost will be well worth knowing the job is getting done right. Professional gutter cleaning services are fully equipped with the necessary tools, so all the prep work is out of your hands.
With these 5 tips for keeping your gutters clean, you now have the information you need. A cleaner and more efficient home gutter system promises a sturdy, more functional roof, as well as a healthier yard.